5.1.2 Build 1068441 vmware-vcloud-director-5.1.2-1968441.bin
5.5.0 Build 1323688 vmware-vcloud-director-5.5.0-1323688.bin
I run a RHEL virtual machine with vcloud director installed, so before starting the upgrade I fully patch the RHEL environment.
vCloud director 5.5 release notes:
Pre upgrade checklist for potential edge gateway problems:
Upgrading vCloud director documentation from VMware which I recommend reading:
- As always, first off start with BACKUPS
- Create snapshot of vCloud Director virtual machine.
- Stop the vcloud services
- backup the vCloud database. We have a SQL server were the database resides.
- Create another 3de party backup. In my case i made use of Commvault to take a snapshot backup of the VM as well.
To upgrade ESXi host to 5.5 as well as upgrade the vCloud agent, perform the following steps in conjunction with vCloud director:
- From vCloud Director right click host and select disable the host
- Right click same host and select "Redeploy all VMs
- On vCenter Server put the ESXi host into maintenance mode
- Attach host upgrade and patch baseline to ESXi server.
- Remediate host
- Once complete from vCloud director right click host and select "Upgrade host agent"
- Take host out of maintenance mode and wait for vSphere HA agent install to complete
- Within vCloud Director you can enable the host again.
To upgrade the vShield Edges:
- Login to vshield
- Select the datacenter for which you want to upgrade.
- Select network virtualization tab
- Select Edges
- Select the edge and click on actions -> Upgrade.
- I did find that after the edge upgrades the users was not able to get connection through the vCloud Edge gateway. To resolve this i redeployed the Edge gateway with following steps:
- Login to vCloud
- Select organization
- Select VDC
- Select Edge Gateway tab
- Right click edge gateway and select Re-Deploy.
- This will recreate the edge gateway but will not loose any settings configured on it.
Upgrade problems experienced:
During step 9 of database upgrade I received the following error message:
Error: Unable to update database statistics. Database user has insufficient privileges to update database statistics. To complete this step manually, run 'EXEC sp_updatestats' as the DBO or a member of the sysadmin fixed server role.
Fix: On the database server (SQL) provide the vCloud user account with sysadmin server role. Run the command as provided in error against the database.
Error: http error 500 after upgrade when opening the vCloud director login page
Fix: Add the text“login.jsp” to the end of the vcloud page URL so you could use a local login. Then disabled SSO under federation services within vCloud director if you are not using it. I my case we make use of windows authentication and not SSO.