VCenter server: 5.1.0 build 880146
ESXi hosts: 5.1.0 build 799733
ESXi software file: VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0.update01-1065491.x86_64
VCenter server: VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-1123966
There are a lot of blogs and post and documentation on upgrading so i am not going to bore you with screenshots and detailed explanation but just give me short point summary of how my upgrade process:
- Create snapshot/backup of VCenter Server!
- Create backup of VCenter Server, SSO and Update Manager database.
- Copy install ISO to server and attached with virtual iso application like "Daemon tools".
- I do this because if server is rebooted and you have the ISO attached through Vcenter server client or web client it will loose the connection.
- Do not perform Simple install!
- Select each VMware production individually by upgrading vCenter Single Sign On first.
- Upgrade the new vSphere web client.
- Login to new web client and under SSO verify that domain is still setup correctly.
- Upgrade vCenter Inventory Service
- Upgrade vCenter Server
- Upgrade vSphere client if needed
- Upgrade vSphere Update Manager
- Reboot the server.
- (I was on phone with VMware support due to corruption of upgrade and they said I that reboot is not required until all applications have been installed and completed)
More on the corruption in another blog!